Sunday, April 22, 2012

The Green Machine Smoothie Recipe

photo by jules:stonesoup 



This smoothie taste like a peanut butter milkshake yum!


So what is a smoothie? A healthful, delicious way to drink your veggies....

Most of my smoothies have the same base ingredients:

  • 1/2 to 1 cup spinach or kale

  • 1 carrot

  • 1/4 to 1/2 cup almond milk (or other type of milk)

  • 1/4 cup Greek yogurt

  • 1 Tbsp coconut oil

  • 1 banana preferably frozen

  • 1 tsp flax seeds


Add these ingredients to your blender in order as listed. To make it a Green Machine Smoothie add 1 to 2 Tbsp of peanut butter. Blend until smooth. The amount of milk you will need depends on how thick you like the smoothie.

If you happen not to have let's say flax seeds... leave it out. Don't like banana's? Don't use it. As I always say, experiment with a recipe. Use what you like. Just don't be afraid to try something new....

Enjoy!

6 comments:

  1. I love green smoothies. It's the only way I can get greens in my diet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Smoothies are a delicious way to sneak in some of those needed veggies. Thanks for the comment! Be sure come back often

    ReplyDelete
  3. [...] The Green Machine Smoothie (naturallyfrugalhomemaker.com) [...]

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love green smoothies and of course will have to try this one!

    Just as a side note I read on your About page that you had rheumatoid arthritis. I noticed for myself when I took wheat, corn, dairy, and sugar out of my diet that the aching in my joints stopped which I have written about in a few spots on my blog and the fact that my optometrist's wife cured hers by doing the same thing. Anyway, just a thought, I know everyone's body is different.

    Namaste and many blessings***

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the comment =) I am happy to hear both of you have overcome RA. I too have found a modified diet helps with my symptoms. Thank you for sharing and I will be reading your blog to find out how you control it. My doctors have never offered any advise on nutrition and the effects it can have on RA. I have discovered everything on my own by listening to my body. I totally agree with you on the sugar and diary. I have been researching gluten free diets and have been exploring that option. Dr. Weil also has an anti-inflammatory diet that helps counteract chronic inflammation.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My optometrist's wife was diagnosed, but I was never formally diagnosed with it or anything actually. The doctor just sort of shrugged when I told him my body ached because all of my blood tests etc. came back normal so I decided that everything that he could tell was healthy then I would take it into my own hands. It sounds like you have found things that work for you--I am familiar with Dr. Weil, but I'll have to check out his diet.
    One last thing you might consider is that there is a blood test to see if you have a mutant gene (apparently there are over 40 of them or something like that) which makes the body unable to assimilate B-vitamins which can result in numerous health issues. I write about it on my blog. It was something like 1 in 3 people have this issue. You take Deplin (which is expensive) which is a "medical food" because it's something that the body is supposed to make, so there are no side effects. Do your own research and see if it resonates with you.
    Wishing you much health and happiness!

    ReplyDelete