Sunday, April 22, 2012

Oh How I Love Smoothies....


   My smoothie adventures stem from very different sources

  1. My kids have always loved smoothies. We would grab some at the mall as a treat. I watched as they would make these very expensive yummy drinks and took notes. I'm always looking for ways to copy cat recipes to save money.
  2. I've always wanted a juicer. Several years ago, my Mom, Sister and myself found Hallelujah Acres  and started following their vegetarian diet plan. Much of what Hallelujah Acres has in the diet is raw foods and juices. I currently eat meat so I have a modified version I follow but Mom is still a vegetarian. I've always needed wanted to purchase a juicer so I am saving until I can purchase one with cash. Until then I make smoothies.
  3. Not long ago I had gotten really off track with my diet. I was eating whatever, whenever. Cakes, cookies and fast food were my weapons of choice. While laying in bed very sick with some virus I caught, I happened to see a documentary called Fat Sick and Nearly DeadDing Ding Ding! Hello its your wake up call..... Needless to say I've done a 180.
   Now for breakfast we have smoothies. These are a delicious way to get several raw fruits and veggies into our diet.

   The way I keep cost low is to go by the EWG guide to purchasing produce. You can find my article To Be or Not To Be Organic here.  I buy in bulk, let the fruit ripen and keep them in the freezer. Strawberries, blueberries and banana's you can leave whole. Mango, pineapple, kiwi etc. I cut into smaller pieces before I freeze them.


Find all of my recipes here....

No comments:

Post a Comment