Thursday, April 19, 2012

Bleach Alternative



   'But I love my bleach! Why should I give it up? I normally can get it cheap, it works great and well...I've always used it. So why switch?' Yes this was me. Kicking and crying not wanting to give it up.

    When you research liquid bleach, and products that contain it, you'll find they have a diluted solution of sodium hypochlorite. Sodium hypochlote is a skin irritant and can cause burns or blisters. The fumes can be irritating to the lungs (it should be avoided by those with respiratory or  heart conditions). It can irritate eyes, causing redness and burning. 

   'Oh! So that's why I have to spray my Bleach Bathroom Cleaner while holding my breath, run away as quickly as possible and wait for the air to clear (cough cough).' I don't know about you but this alone is enough reason for me to consider an alternatives. 

   Ever wonder why your towels and wash cloths don't last very long? With regular use of bleach in your laundry the fibers will start to break down. If not properly rinsed out the residue will continue to break down fibers in the presents of humidity. 

   'Ok so I'll consider giving it up. What can I use instead?'

  •    Sunlight is one of the cheapest (can't beat free) ways to whiten your laundry. Try adding lemon juice as a spot treatment. This will boost the whitening power of the sun.
  • 3% Hydrogen Peroxide is a great spot treatment. It is milder than chlorine bleach and can be used on most fabrics. (please test a small area first) Apply with a cotton swab, allow the area to dry and reapply if needed.
  • Vinegar is a mild bleach that is safe for most fabrics. I use vinegar as a fabric softener as well. Use as a presoak for heavily soiled clothes. Add one cup to the presoak cycle. Vinegar brightens and deodorizes. Vinegar can make cheap dyes and fabrics run and fade. Please test a small area first. 
  • I also use a bleach alternative I found here. I've used this great recipe on all fabrics. I liked it so much, I made my Mom a batch. Thanks Frugally Sustainable for this great recipe.




No comments:

Post a Comment