Friday, April 13, 2012

How I kicked the shampoo habit...

  Confession, I do not shampoo my hair! 'Excuse me?' you say. Yup you heard right. I don't use shampoo. I have opted instead for the 'No Poo' method of washing my hair.  This method uses a baking soda/water mixture to wash with and apple cider vinegar to condition. I know it sounds strange. But it really works! My hair feels and styles much better than before. Also as an added bonus, I wash it less frequently.


   Your hair may go through an adjustment period.  I use to shampoo my hair everyday. My first attempt at No Poo failed. My adjustment period never ended. My hair was oily and not very pretty. To help offset that I came up with a way to ween myself from shampoo. Below is the recipe for No Poo Shampoo. To this recipe you can add your current shampoo. I added 1 Tbls of shampoo at first. Used that bottle which lasts about 1 week for me. Then gradually put less and less shampoo until you are completely on No Poo Shampoo. Even if you can't go completely shampoo free, think of the cost savings you will have using this recipe to stretch your shampoo...


Talk about frugal, it cost pennies to make:

No Poo Shampoo


1 to 2 Tbls baking soda (you may need more or less baking soda depending on your hair type)
8 ozs of filtered warm water
*optional you can add a few (3 or 4) drops of essential oil of your choice

Place in a container of your choice and shake! That's it. How simple does it get?
To use, always shake then apply to wet hair enough of the mixture for your hair length. Massage as you usually would shampoo. I normally will do this when I first get in the shower and let it sit till I finish my shower then rinse well. I make a large batch of this in a gallon container. Then fill up my re-purposed shampoo bottle when needed.

Apple Cider Conditioner

1 Tbls of apple cider vinegar
8 ozs filtered water

Again place in a container of your choice. To use always shake then apply a small amount to the ENDS of your hair. If applied to the scalp, your hair may become oily. Rinse your hair well. Trust me your hair will not smell of vinegar. The smell will dissipate.

No comments:

Post a Comment