Friday, April 13, 2012

My journey with fermented foods...

I'm an all or nothing kinda gal. I didn't start with one fermented food, oh no. I had to try everything at once. When I started researching all the foods I could ferment, I was super excited. And so began my 'Ferment Experiment'. Milk Kefir, Kombucha, Yogurt, Sauerkraut and Sourdough Bread to name a few. There are endless possibilities to what you can ferment.
Why ferment you ask? Our Western diets are filled with genetically altered, prepackaged, over processed foods.  These types of foods do not give us the vitamins and nutrients our bodies need to maintain good health. Here are some reason for fermenting:

  • Fermentation actually increases vitamin content

  • Fermented food help restore proper balance of the gut

  • Fermenting helps with digestion

  • Raw fermented food is rich in enzymes

  • Flavors are increased

  • Fermented foods are Frugal! Which I love

  • Fermenting helps increase shelf life of food


   It has only been in recent years that fermented foods have gone missing from our diets. Humans all over the world have been fermenting food for thousands of years. Take milk kefir for example. Shepherds of the North Caucasus region discovered that fresh milk carried in leather pouches would occasionally ferment into a carbonated beverage. Marco Polo mentions kefir in his travels. Milk Kefir is one of the easiest and most forgiving. If you've never had experience fermenting, I highly recommend starting with kefir. 



   I will be posting on each of the foods and beverages in my 'Ferment Experiment'. The struggles, the tears, the hooray's and recipes.



   Do you ferment? What are you favorites? 

No comments:

Post a Comment