Tuesday, May 22, 2012

I'm Going To Let You In On One Of My Secrets .... Shhhhh

Image

credit


Tomorrow is my day off. I mean truly off. From Everything. Tomorrow is what I call PJ Day. My guilt free fun day! Shhhh it's a secret from everyone. I don't tell anyone who knows me I'm off from work that day. The day to day tasks, activities and obligations seem to wear me down after awhile. I get tired of being "On" all the time. "Gotta be productive!" "Gotta get it done" "Gotta be a responsible adult" I am here to stand up and say "No! Not on PJ Day!"

I take a PJ Day once a month. I love it, look forward to it and no I don't feel guilty about it. I plan it ahead of time so that all of my outside obligations are filled, errands are done and housework is complete (except for some, and I mean very few, daily tasks). I will cook my meals ahead of time or better yet we'll have frozen pizza (gasp). I may or may not change out of my PJ's all day. I probably will not be wearing make up. I will more than likely not leave my house - the no make up and wearing of pj's help with this ha ha.

So why do this? Everyday I wake up super early and have a busy schedule. I sleep no later than 5:30 am. I get up, do my morning routine (which includes cleaning, laundry, prep for dinner, bible study, getting dressed etc) My work schedule varies from day to day. Sometimes I have to be at work by 6 am, therefore its necessary to wake up at 4 am. When I get home from work there is my evening routine...more housework, extended family obligations, cooking and the list goes on. Even on days off from work I am full blast. My days off normally booked up and are filled with spending time outside my home, with family, errands etc ...whew... sound familiar?

Its not that I don't love my life. I do. I am very grateful and mindful of God's blessings. I have a home, family who love me, a car, a job, food to cook. This is my way of recharging. I think everyone needs to.

So, what do I do on my PJ Day? Anything I want.

  •  I sometimes have a spa day. Detoxing in a tub with Peppermint Bath Salts while reading a book ahhh relaxation.

  • Or maybe a movie day

  • Craft day

  • Photography day- a day spent finding things in my yard to photograph, creepy crawlies, a fallen leaf to beautiful flowers

  • Surfing the net (without guilt ha ha )

  • Or my favorite - taking the day as it comes and doing what I feel like at the moment


No, I don't have small children at home. Therefore it is easier to focus on what 'I' want to do.  I know this could prove to be challenging if you do. But why not plan a  pj day with the kids. Kids now days have very full schedules too. I'm sure they wouldn't mind a day off. Have popcorn and a movie. Have craft day. Everyone takes turns with the camera exploring the yard. Ask them what to do, they still have that childlike mind-set and will surely come up with some great ideas.

Give yourself permission to take a day off, a real day off. You will find you are recharged and refueled for those busy 'gotta get it done' days. 

I would love to hear some of the ways you recharge and reclaim freedom from day to day tasks... Leave me some ideas in the comment section because tomorrow is PJ Day

Yippie!

3 comments:

  1. That sounds wonderful! Even when I have a day off from regular work and to myself, I have to get dressed - between in-laws next door, neighbours, various and assorted other relatives and customers for our vehicle storage business, people always seem to be coming to the door. Someday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand that completely lol It's like going to walmart not looking your best... sure enough you'll see everyone you know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Exactly - I found out the hard way - in the winter, I love to come home and change into my flannel pjs. The moment I take my bra off, I swear - someone comes to the door. I give up now and stay dressed at least until 9 pm, cause you just never know.

    ReplyDelete