Wednesday, June 20, 2012

The 10 things I do before breakfast to keep me sane

[caption id="attachment_1068" align="aligncenter" width="230"] I'm not crazy... right?[/caption]

I have my morning routine down pat. I do the whole routine start to finish on cruise control. No matter what time I have to get up and be at work (there are days I'm up by 4 am) I do my best to get these 10 things done. If I do them, my day goes much smoother, I feel more in control of my day and my afternoons are easier. Drum roll please....

  1. I get up 1 1/2 to 2 hours early. If I have to be at work by 7 am I am up at 5 am. I am crazy huh? Not really. It gives me enough time to get loads of things done and no rushing out the door (well most mornings lol) Plus, I'm a morning person. I am more productive during the morning hours.

  2. I head straight to the kitchen, take care of the cats and dog (funny how they get breakfast first), let the dog out for her morning constitution, give them any needed medications, clean the litter box. Such a wonderful way to start the day at 'itstooearlyforthis' am, but I have a saying "Just Rip It". You know how it hurts less when you pull a band-aid off quickly? Well, I like to get unpleasant things over with first. Or I'll keep putting them off till somehow I forget to do them???

  3. I start a load of laundry. Since I get up so so so early, I try to gather laundry the night before and have it ready to go. I do laundry Monday-Friday, 1 to 2 loads per day. The same load each day of the week. Example Monday = Sheets, Tuesday = Lights, Wednesday = Darks, Thursday = Towels Friday = Jeans. This keeps me on track and rarely ever behind on laundry. There are odds and ends loads I will do while zoning my house, but the M-F loads take care of the bulk of laundry.

  4. I start breakfast. If its Amish Baked Oatmeal all I have to do is put it in the oven. If it's meat and eggs, I will cook the meat (such as bacon or breakfast sausage) on low while doing other things (like number 5,6,7 you get the idea)

  5. I unload the dishwasher. I know it's one of the most expensive appliance to run. But that darn thing helps keep me sane. So I use it. Normally we only have to run it every other day.

  6. I think about dinner and what we will have (if I didn't do this the night before, which is preferable) Finish making breakfast and clean up.

  7. I check my Household Planner to see what's up for the day. I also look ahead at the week- are there any appointments coming up? Errands to run after work? Finally I leave the kitchen.....

  8. Get dressed - Everyday, head to toe, ready to go. This includes days off.  Except for one day a month, PJ Day.

  9. I clean for 15 minutes. Most everyone is still sleeping, so this is limited to a few rooms and activities (no vacuuming of course ha ha) I do clean the bathroom every morning.

  10. I sit down and enjoy my breakfast. During breakfast I like to do my bible study. The house is still quiet and I can concentrate.


Then I am either out the door or on to other tasks for the day. Now if only I could get my afternoon routine fixed.... ah but that's for another post.

What do your mornings look like? Do you have a routine that you follow?

credit

2 comments:

  1. It sounds like you've put your morning on auto-pilot so you can get off to a good start everyday. I have routines in the morning, too. This week my routine was interrupted by unexpected house guests and I noticed something, I am an all or nothing person. If I miss a step, it blows the whole thing, like if I can't sit in my regular chair and have my coffee, then I probably won't do my bible study. (The bible is convenient to the chair). Now that I know it I'll be on the lookout, for little derailments. I can get back on track, anytime, now that I've caught myself.
    Thank you for sharing your morning. I'll pay a little more attention to my morning habits and see how I can get back in sync when things get out of whack.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am the same way Karen. If I get off track, it's way off. Like "Oops, its 2 pm and I am still on the computer" way off. It's my afternoons that really get me in trouble. I am distracted easily... Oh look! Something shiny! I think it's because I am tired in the evening. Less energy to push me through the rest of my day. I need to get a plan, set some boundaries and stick to them. It's good to hear from you. Thank you for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete